Saturday, March 15, 2014

Facial Cleansing Oils - Say Hello to Julie!

Hello lovelies! 

This month is such an exciting month when it comes to blogging!! With the launch of the Canadian Beauty Bloggers it brought many new opportunities for each and every one of it's founding members.

We cohesively decided that we would be doing monthly guest posts on each other's blogs! Today I bring you a wonderful lady from the big city to talk to ya'll about facial oils - oh oil - why must you be both the loves of our lives and the banes of our existence? You can see all of Julie's posts over at Swatch and Review (we also have a giveaway going on RIGHT NOW you can see that HERE).

This month I'm posting at Chantal's Corner!! Here's Julie!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi readers of Exquisitely Chic! 
My name is Julie from Swatch & Review and I’ll be your guest writer today to talk about this month’s theme: Skincare!
Have you heard of Facial Cleansing Oils? They have been a huge staple in Asian skincare for years. But just like BB and CC creams, we are starting to the popularity of these oils rise in North America. 
At first, I was a little taken aback when washing my face with oil as I was always taught you want to get the oil OFF your face. It felt a little odd smearing oil all over my face, but I found it actually helped tone down the redness in my skin and get rid of dry patches. AND it completely removes all your makeup. All of it!
So let’s go through how to properly use a cleansing oil:
1 – Pump a quarter-sized amount of oil into your palms and rub all over your dry face.
2 – Add a small bit of water to emulsify the oil. It will become almost sudsy.
3 – Splash warm water on your face to remove the oil, without rubbing. And pat dry.


Now for the good stuff. With so many different brands out there, it’s hard to choose what’s right for your skin.  Well, I’ve done the testing for you!

Asian brand: Missha Flower Bouquet Maylily Skin Cleansing Oil
 
$19.99 CAD/150ml
The first cleansing oil I ever used, and I fell in love. It’s a lightweight oil with a beautiful floral scent. Because of its lighter consistency, it tends to foam up more than other oils. This is my Summer season oil. Good for oily/normal skin. Do not use if you have sensitivity to fragrance.

Specialty brand: Julep Bare Face Cleansing Oil
$28.00 USD (or $22.40 for Mavens)/104ml
 
This is a heavier weighted oil that I tend to use if I have a lot of makeup to remove (ie – waterproof mascara or a thicker cream foundation). It doesn’t foam up as much as the Missha but it really hydrates your skin. Good for dry skin or colder weather. Unscented. 

Drugstore brand: L’oreal Sublime Radiance Sensational Cleansing Oil
$12.99 CAD/150ml
 
This oil just came out in Canada to rave reviews. It’s yellow in colour and I’d say a medium weight, in between Missha and Julep. I like that I can just go to the drugstore and pick this up, plus it’s quite a bit cheaper than the other two. This one is unscented. Use this if you have normal/combination skin. 

Alternatives: 
HIGH END: Shu Uemera makes different cleansing oils to suit all kinds of skin needs. I’ve tried samples of a few and loved them but can’t bring myself to spending over $40 on skin care. Check out what they have here.
LOW END: Coconut Oil does almost the same thing as all these oils only at a fraction of the price! It is quite a bit heavier than the Julep (the heaviest weight oil I have used) and you do have to scoop the oil out of the jar and warm it up. But if you’re looking for a low-cost option, give this a try! Available at your local grocery store for around $15 for 800ml!
So have you tried cleansing oils? What are your thoughts?

Check out other posts from the CBB!!