Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Illuminating Serum Review

I've always been a pretty big fan of the Tarte product line - especially the Amazonian Clay products. I don't own a lot of high-end products but this was one I had to pick up for myself.

I got a sample of the Tarte Amazonian Clay Highlighter a few years ago - and it lasted me a while. So I went back in to pick up the full product about a year ago and the girl at Sephora didn't know what I was talking about!

Instead she picked this up for me. An illuminating serum. When I think serum I think skin care not makeup, so I was confused. Do I put it on over my foundation? Under it? Mix it in?
I bought it anyways because I really enjoyed the other product and thought it couldn't hurt to try this one too. Note* This specific product is no longer available - I believe it's been changed to the Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Illuminating Moisturizer (I think it's the same as the URL still says Illuminating Serum....)


Here's what the company had to say about the product:
  • This natural skin brightener is infused with Amazonian clay, vitamins and tea extract to moisturize and replenish skin as it adds a hint of glimmer. No matter your skin concern Amazonian clay completely neutralizes so you are left with a radiant complexion. Oily skin? Amazonian clay minimizes oil in and around pores to balance skin and keep product in place. Dry skin? This nourishing clay hydrates skin naturally to restore moisture. Combination skin? Amazonian clay will intuitively identify your skin concerns and deliver benefits to restore harmony. The result is makeup that wears better, longer and truer!

Here's a swatch:


Here's what I have to say:

This product is a must-have for my collection. Though no longer available I'm going to assume the BB Illuminating Moisturizer is the same thing just called something different.

It took me a while to figure out the best way for me to wear this product. I tried it over my foundation but I wasn't 100% happy with how it looked, I'm not a fan of layering on too much makeup.

It adds VERY LIGHT coverage. I'm talking, very, very light. If you need heavier coverage you may need to layer over your foundation.

I currently use this product under my foundation or just on it's own. I get told quite often "Your skin really glows"! This is my secret weapon. On any given day I'm wearing this product, and a shimmery gold highlight on the high points of my face. 

The product does separate. If you shake it, it dispenses alright but I choose to squeeze the bottle with the opening facing up and it seems to avoid issue of ending up with an oily mess everywhere. (Maybe the separation issue has been resolved in the new BB formula?)

This product certainly acts as a moisturizer on my skin. Leaves a great base for foundation if necessary. It has a subtle shimmer that looks dewy rather than shimmery or greasy - which I particularly enjoy. I strive for that J-Lo glow. 

I'd certainly re-purchase this product, or buy the new BB Moisturizer I adore it and my makeup is never without.

Have you tried this product? What did you think? What other Tarte brand products do you recommend?

xoxo - C